These days there are more and more wildfires that you hear about in different regions which are incredibly dangerous. In the past, they would affect forests and mountainous areas. However, these days, fires have spread to urban areas. It is obviously something that one has to prepare for. At any time one could be asked to evacuate, and you have to be prepared for this. You can’t spend a lot of time packing the car and getting the kids organized. Sometimes, you just have to take the essentials. Often, you just need a couple of things in order to survive the ordeal.
Here are a couple of things you will need in your car in order to survive a wildfire
- Have enough gas in your car – should you hear that there are reports of a wildfire in the area, you need to have a full tank. You can’t be looking for a gas station. Have a bottle of gas so you are fully prepared for this.
- Eye drops – In the event of a fire, you will find it hard to see because of the huge amount of smoke in the area. As you are running back and forth to your car, it can be a real problem. You may have to open your door or window from time to time. Having eye drops can eliminate the stress.
- Flashlights – Your headlamps may not be very useful at a time like this because of the smoke in the area. You may need to get out of the car and find out where you are in extreme cases. When you are evacuated, you may find yourself without enough light struggling to see what is in your car.
- Pets – This can be traumatic for your animals. Try and keep them calm. The family should be involved in helping cats get into their cages. Take something like their blanket with them because this will bring them comfort. If you are calm, they will not pick up on your levels of anxiety.
- Emergency repairs for your vehicle – The last thing you want is for your car to breakdown in the middle of a wildfire. Make sure that you have a jack and a spare tire available. Have the appropriate tools which are necessary for fixing the basics. Drive carefully during this time because it can be difficult to see what is going on.
- Cellphone – This will keep you in touch with communications. It is essential in case you break down and you are unable to repair your vehicle. You may need to keep in touch with loved ones should you have been separated from them. You may need to know what to do and where to go when you have been evacuated. Remember to take a charger with you as well.
- Medication – This is something that people forget about. However, it can be essential for people who are diabetic or epileptic, for example.
- Water – You will need plenty of this when you are exposed to hazardous conditions. It can be dangerous when you are exposed to smoky conditions and the water will help you in a case like this.
- First Aid Kit – Everyone should have prepared a kit like this. It is very important that you take a box of aspirin and plasters and bandages. Kids may get out of the car, fall or cut themselves. It is not uncommon to get a headache. You may need something for allergies.
- Sleeping Bag – It is important to have something warm like this, especially when you have kids with you. You may be driving for a long time and you don’t know what the conditions will be like in the evacuation center.
Here are two important tools you can have for your survival arsenal