Taking prescription or even over the counter pain killers may be problematic for several reasons especially in survival situations. The good news is that there are many natural pain killers that you can take that are effective and are far less likely to cause an adverse reaction. While most natural pain killers are not as effective as certain prescribed medications, they can take the edge off the pain until you receive further treatment.
Here are 15 natural pain killers that you can take for everyday aches and pains along with certain conditions that will have you feeling better in a short time.
1. Aquamin: This substance comes from seaweed and helps reduce inflammation which in turn provides ample pain relief to those suffering from conditions like arthritis.
2. Arnica: A topical application, arnica has shown to be useful for reducing the pain from sore muscles and even has shown promise when used as pain relief from surgeries.
3. Birch Leaf: The main chemical compound in birch leaf is methyl salicylate which works much like salicylic acid found in aspirin. By enhancing circulations, it helps to relieve several types of aches and pains.
4. Boswellia: Culled from the frankincense tree, this is a resin that helps to curb inflammation which also cuts down on the pain. It works quite well for arthritis and even those with inflammatory bowel diseases.
5. Bromelain: Found in pineapple stems, this is a natural ingredient that helps reduce inflammation. Those with arthritis, TMJ, and even trauma-related inflammation can find pain relief with this substance.
6. Capsaicin: This is one of the best natural pain killers. Found in chili peppers, this substance actually helps to desensitize nerve cells to produce long-term pain relief.
7. Cherries: Cherries have compounds called anthocyanins that help to relieve the pain and take the edge off even harsh, painful conditions. Plus, they block inflammation and they taste good as well.
8. Devil’s Claw: For those with heartburn, this is an excellent herb that provides substantial relief. It also helps for those who have headaches, lower back pain, and arthritis.
9. Gamma-Linolenic Acid: Found in seed oils, those who suffer from nerve pain caused by diabetes have found relief thanks to this substance.
10. Ginger, Holy Basil, & Turmeric: Three different herbs that all have anti-inflammatory qualities which can help ease the pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and similar conditions.
11. Peppermint: This mint is often used to relieve the pain of toothaches, but can also be used for bloating and gas, irritations of the skin, and muscle pain.
12. White Willow Bark: It offers salicin which the body turns into salicylic acid that provides pain relief. Perfect for aches and pains caused by inflammation such as arthritis.
13. Wintergreen: A common and quite pleasing pain reliever, it contains ingredients that have a similar effect to aspirin.
All of these natural pain killers are inexpensive and easy to use. However, if you are on any type of prescription medications you should check with your doctor to avoid any possible adverse reaction. Just because the pain reliever is from a natural source does not necessarily make it safe to use with other medications.