You never know when you will be needing food for the purpose of survival. Most people don’t think about this, until they are in a situation where they are faced with a natural disaster. It is something to think about and be prepared for.
Here are some of the food storage myths to take into consideration:
- You will never be faced with natural disasters – people often think that they stay in an area which is safe from tornadoes, earthquakes or tsunamis. However, this can happen at any point in time, and something to be prepared for.
- Relying on the government – These days it is basically each man for himself. You can’t rely on the government for food supplies. You have to provide for yourself.
- Food storage doesn’t last – Things have improved in the last couple of years, and the shelf life of what is available in the stores can basically last for years. The food is not bland and boring. The whole family can enjoy food that is convenient like this.
- You need special skills – You don’t need a farm to be able to survive. You don’t need to be especially organized. Everything is fully available in stores. Should you be hit by an earthquake, it would be impossible to quickly go and kill a chicken in the backyard.
- No cupboard space – People who do prepare in advance always find a place for tins and packets of food. There are shelves that you can build. You can store this in a spare corner in a room. It can be stored under or on top of bookcases.
- Costs add up – It is not something that you have to do at once. You can buy a couple of supplies every time you go to the store. You can do this in phases. It is also a good idea to plan what you have so you don’t buy too much of the same thing.
- If you are hungry you will eat anything – You still need a variety of foods, because this gives you energy, it fills your body with different nutrients. When you enjoy your food, it means that you are also in a good mood. This is especially important when you are faced with a disastrous situation.
- Just get cans- There is so much else available in stores besides cans. Of course, there is a lot available in cans, but there are packets which make nice meals with sauces and these don’t take up a lot of space.
- Have the food ready and forget about it- Remember that you have to know how to prepare it. You have to have the tools and the recipes. You have to have cooking supplies, such as a gas stove.
- The expense of freeze dried products – It can be a big surprise to find out how much these products are. However, you can also prepare this yourself, or even grow something and freeze it.
- Eggs can be stored in the opening of the refrigerator – Eggs need to be cool. They need to be kept at the back of the refrigerator. They need to be replaced before they expire.
- Perishable foods can be stored outside without a problem – This is something to be careful of because they are exposed to insects. Temperatures will also fluctuate.
- Condiments can last until the expired date, even when opened – You need to use things like tomato sauce quickly after they have been opened.
- Meats can be defrosted inside – Meats should be defrosted in the refrigerator where they are not exposed to bacteria
- Water can go off and expire – This is not true. However, it should be stored in a glass bottle.