Considering the tremendous rate of terror attacks from different dangerous extremist groups (that has rocked the world) in recent times, it has become paramount to adopt safety measures so as to ensure the security of the public. Note that despite the measures that have been implemented by authorities to ensure the general population is secure, it is essential to learn a few things that can help you during such trying times.
This article will examine five lessons that could save your life in the event of a terrorist attack.
- Run– the first thing that you must do is to quickly move away from the scene of danger because this would ensure you get out of the line of fire. If it is impossible for you to run during an attack the next best thing is to find somewhere safe and hide. This is one of the things that made sure the number of deaths during the September 11 attack was not more than it could have been.
- Keep your Mobile Device on Silent Mode- the sound of a ringing phone has unfortunately led to the death of a number of people during several terror attacks.So if you are in hiding make sure that your phone is on silent (so you don’t get a call that could alert a terrorist around and lead to a fatal incident).
- Call Security Forces if Possible- even if you are tempted to confront a terrorist, it is best to avoid such a scenario, because most of them are willing to die for their cause and you are not. So it is best to contact the police and other relevant security agencies with the resume to handle such issues like this. Give the police the best description that you can about the assailants so that they have more information to work with before launching an offensive.
- Don’t Play Dead– while it may be tempting to play dead, this is a wrong move. Such a move will put you in danger, especially if you have an avenue of escaping. Most deadly terrorists go around checking if their attack has had the intended effects. Ensure that you look for the best route to escape. Avoid playing dead as much as you can because it could be fatal. A good example of this is the attack at the club in Francisco where the gunman went round shooting people lying on the floor.
- Do a Headcount- when you are no longer close to the scene of the attack, ensure that you do a head count to make sure no one is left behind. This would make it easier for the authorities to plan their defense and take out the terrorist. So do not take this aspect lightly in case of a terror attack because it could save more lives.