Have you ever thought how will you find north at night if you get lost? Living in the modern world, it is hard to imagine being lost. Before the technology, people used to navigate with the help of a sun during the day. At night, they used the moon and stars to find their way.
Once you understand how people use the position of the moon, stars, and sun for finding direction. You will be able to do so after practicing.
Let’s take a look at some of the ways to find north without the compass.
Using North Star to Find North
This technique has been used by many people over the years to find north. Most of the people think that North Star is the brightest star at night. This is not true, North Star is of average brightness. If you can locate the North Star then you can easily find north. North Star is also known as Polaris and is not easy to find.
Finding the Big Dipper
In order to find the North Star, you must first locate the Big Dipper. There might be some people who don’t know what the Big Dipper is? Well, it is the easiest constellation to identify.
The Big Dipper is a constellation comprising of 7 stars and can be found in the northern sky. During the summer and spring, Big Dipper will be high in the air. While in autumn and winter, it will be lower in the sky.
- It has a shape like a bowl with a handle. 4 stars create a trapezium shape, it is the bowl portion. The rest 3 stars form the shape of a slightly bent handle.
- Once you have located the Big Dipper, you can easily locate the North Star.
After you have located the Big Dipper and notice the two stars at the blade end of it. Draft an imaginary line through these stars. Follow the line upward where you will reach the North Star. It will be the last star located at the little dipper’s handle. Therefore, as you face the North Star, you will be facing north.
Two Sticks at Night Method
Another way to find north is by using the two sticks method.
- First, you have placed a stick upright in the ground.
- Then place a taller stick just beyond the first stick.
- You must bend down behind the first stick. Line up your eye so that a straight line could be drawn. The line will be drawn from your eye to the top of the sticks and then to a star in the sky.
- Watch the star for some minutes.
- In case the star moves up, it means you are facing east. If it moves down, you are facing west. If the star moves right, this means you are facing south. In case the star moves left, you are facing north.
Overall, these ways will help you find north without any effort. If you get lost without a compass, you can easily find north. Try these methods and let us know in the comments.