Everyone owns the sun and therefore solar energy is cheap and environmentally friendly. A solar transition is a worthy homesteading goal. There are a lot of advantages of using solar energy. It’s a renewable energy source which can reduce climate change and limit the use of fossil fuel. You may think of it as a difficult task to build one for your home, frankly speaking, it’s not. Just keep reading and you won’t believe how easy it is to build. You would be shown a step by step guide of how to assemble a solar generator.
Below are some of the items you need for this project
- Solar Panel (40wp, 17.2v) – this component converts solar energy into electrical energy.
- Charge Controller – it regulates the amount of charge going into the battery and it helps in ensuring that the battery doesn’t overcharge.
- Deep Cycle Battery – make use of a lead acid battery and its designed to have its capacity discharge regularly.
- An inverter – it converts your direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).
- Cables – they are your regular cables.
- Cable Connectors – this one shouldn’t also be strange to you. You can make use of them to connect the various cables.
For this project, you can power a laptop for about five to eight hours, 60w light bulb for 6 hours or an energy light saver for a day. It can produce 150W of electricity although not enough to support heavy appliances. You can get more than 150W of electricity if more batteries and solar panels are used.
The first step is to connect the inverter to the battery with cables. Ensure that you connect the negative cable to the negative pole of the battery and do same to the positive pole.
Secondly, connect the charge controller to the battery and also the solar panel. Ensure that the negative cable is connected to the negative pole of the battery and same applies to the positive pole of the battery.
The next step is to keep the solar panel outside the house where you can get enough sunlight. The more sunlight the solar panel gets, the more electrical energy would be available for use. The factors to consider when positioning your solar panel are trees and tall buildings. They may block the sunlight. During the morning hours, the eastern part of your building is most times exposed to sunlight, while in the afternoons and evening it is more on the western part of the building.
Lastly, allow it to charge till it’s up to 50% and then you can start making use of it. You can power your TV, DVD, light bulbs, and energy saving bulbs. It’s not advisable to connect the energy hungry appliances except you increase the number of batteries and solar panel to produce more electrical energy.