Drying chicken is a perfect way to preserve chicken in cases of emergencies. In ancient times foods were almost always dried; they lasted longer and served as real lifesavers, especially during winter periods. Dried chicken can also serve as a complete meal when embarking on a hiking and camping trip. You can also decide to use it as a snack.
There are various methods of preserving chicken. The most popular, however, is drying and canning. Drying is by far the most preferred method around the world because of its advantages.
Some benefits of drying chicken over canning are;
- It is by far the quickest technique for preservation.
- It has a longer shelf life, especially when refrigerated.
- The moisture is completely removed and as such it is much more lighter and takes up less space.
- It is by far cheaper as you do not need to replace your equipment such as dehydrator or oven.
Chicken can either be dried using a dehydrator or an oven.
Below are some steps to take when drying chicken strips in your home;
DIY HOMEMADE DRIED CHICKEN STRIPS
USING A DEHYDRATOR
- Get chicken breasts as other parts of chicken have more fat and may spoil faster.
- Put chicken breast on a cutting board and remove all the skin and fat.
- Put in a refrigerator and allow to freeze for about 30mins so that it can be cut easily into uniform sizes.
- Remove from your freezer and slice chicken breasts into strips, about one_quarter inches thick.
- Cut longer sections in half to ensure you achieve uniform strips.
- Place on dehydrator trays and set the dehydrator to max temp of 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Leave for about 6 to 8hrs and ensure they have a crispy consistency before removing. This will ensure that your chicken has a longer shelf life capacity.
DRYING CHICKEN USING AN OVEN
- 1 whole Chicken
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups finely ground cracker
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- Put chicken in scalding water and cook until it’s a bit tender.
- Cut chicken into tiny uniform strips and remove every fat and skin present.
- Put ground cracker crumbs, garlic powder, black pepper, chili pepper, and salt in a bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Dip chicken strips into beaten egg mixture, then
- dredge in crumb mixture.
- Spray your chicken baking pan with cooking spray and place chicken Strips on it.
- Bake at about 375 degrees Fahrenheit, for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove when crispy on the outside and lightly browned.
Dried chicken can be stored in airtight jars and should be consumed within two weeks unless it is refrigerated.
Whether dried utilizing an oven or dehydrator most of its nutrient is still retained making it a very nutritious meal. Take a strip whenever you have a need for a taste of chicken.