Earthquake is a natural disaster, a common occurrence when wherein a rumbling below the Earth’s surface happening thousands of times a day. These rumblings aren’t dangerous, but there are times when major earthquakes happen that can destroy properties and cost lives as well.
While major earthquakes are fairly common, it pays to be prepared. With global warming, more and more natural calamities, including earthquake are somehow becoming frequent and intense. That being the case, it is important that you know how to prepare for earthquakes and know what you should do during one.
Prepare Emergency Survival Kit
Every household must always have an emergency survival kit in case they become stranded in inaccessible places or are injured. Survival kits must have the following things:
- First aid kit
- Essential medications
- Provisions, food that does not spoil
- Water, 2 liters per person
- Battery-powered flashlight, extra batteries
- Extra keys
- Important family documents (identification, bank records, insurance, etc.)
- Emergency plan with contact information
Your emergency preparedness kit must include the basic things as mentioned above so that you can survive no matter what the condition you are in when earthquake strikes. Apart from having ready emergency kit, here are some tips for safety before the disaster:
- Prepare an earthquake readiness plan
- Consult with professionals to know how you can make your home sturdier and safe when earthquake happens
- Locate a place or area in your home where you can go to during earthquake. It should be a place where there aren’t anything to fall on you.
- Learn how to turn off your utilities including the gas and water mains.
- Eliminate any possible hazards in your home by moving the heavy items down the lower shelves.
- Secure any heavy furniture, hanging items and don’t hang things over your bed.
- The water heater has to be secured properly to the wall studs as when it falls during an earthquake, it can break gas lines with its heavy weight.
- If you have a chimney, make sure that it is securely brazed as it can topple and fall through over you ceiling causing major hazard
These are things you should do to prepare your home and yourself from the possible oncoming of an earthquake. Apart from preparedness and safety tips, of course, you had to know what to do during the earthquake itself. First of all, when disaster comes the first thing you have to do is stay calm as much as possible.
Panic won’t let you think straight and that will mostly certainly lead to your demise. When you are calmed down, you can exercise what you have learned on how to deal with earthquake. In times like this, you must stay as calm and vigilant as possible so that you can think of the right way to avoid getting crushed by any debris falling.
This way, you can save not only yourself, but even those others around you. Because it is very easy to get overwhelmed with situations like this, it can be difficult to stay calm. But, if you remember that you have prepared for it, you are sure to get away from this disaster unscathed.
Nature is now fighting back against the desecration and it is no laughing matter!