When SHTF while at home, it is important to know how to survive, using antibiotics. Penicillin is a great antibiotic, and the good news is that you can easily make it from the comfort of your home. As long as you have the right ingredients and equipment, you will be able to make penicillin. However, you should only attempt to make this antibiotic when you are in a serious survival situation.
If SHTF and you can get the commercial antibiotics, then you should consider those. Making drugs at home is a sensitive issue and may have a number of risks associated with it. However, when you are in a true survival state, you can use this guide to make penicillin.
Ingredients and Equipment to Use
- 2 pieces of whole wheat bread
- A gram scale
- A pH test kit
- 1-liter container
- Cantaloupe rind or citrus fruit
- 750 ml Erlenmeyer flask
- The first step to make mold, which is made from the bread, rind or fruit. The correct mold is the one that is blue-green in color.
- Put the Erlenmeyer flask in a pressure cooker for about 15 minutes, at 15 lb. or in an oven for an hour at 315 degrees F. This is aimed at sterilizing the flask.
- Cut the whole bread into 0.5-inch cubes and put them in the flask.
- Take the mold (made in step one) and place it on the bread.
- Cover the flask and place it in a dark environment, with temperatures of 70 degrees F, and let it incubate for 5 days.
While there some who recommend that you can use the penicillin after the 5 days, this may not be effective. Here are the next steps to complete the process:
- 44 gm Lactose Monohydrate
- 25 gm Corn Starch
- 3 gm Sodium Nitrate
- 25gm Magnesium Sulfate
- 5 gm Potassium Monophosphate
- 75 gm Glucose Monohydrate
- 044 gm Zinc Sulfate
- 44 gm Manganese Sulfate 0.044 gm
- Sterilize the 1liter container and dissolve all the ingredients in 500 ml of distilled water. Once you have dissolved them, add more cold water to make it 1 liter.
- Using your pH testing kit, use hydrochloric acid to adjust the pH to read 5.0 -5.5.
- Let the solution cool, and then you can add the mold. Once you have added the mold, leave it under the same conditions for 7 days.
- After 7 days, filter the mix and adjust the pH of the solution to 2.2, using hydrochloric acid.
- Mix it with cold ethyl acetate using the funnel and shake for about 30 seconds, then allow it to separate.
- Freeze a beaker and then pour the ethyl acetate into it and then add potassium acetate and mix properly.
- Allow the ethyl acetate to evaporate from the beaker, and you will have your penicillin.
This is an effective recipe to make penicillin at home, but there are so many variables. You can test it on a skin to see if it is effective, before using it extensively.