Some animals are very challenging to catch, and as such, there is a wealth of techniques available that have been designed over the years. If you are a prepper, you have probably debated the question of which is better- snaring or hunting? Both hunting and snaring have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, the decision on which method to use depends on your preference and the animal being hunted.
Setting snares is an easy and inexpensive way to catch small animals in the wild. Snares only require you to expend a small amount of energy as opposed to hunting. Additionally, there are a huge variety of snares available in the market for you to select from ranging from the complicated snares to simple ones. Hunting, on the other hand, requires an elaborate amount of planning and effort. Setting up a hunting trip takes time because there are regulations to be followed and a range of equipment to be used.
Advantages of hunting over snares
- Hunting is the most common way to catch big
- Hunting can be very humane when done correctly
- It is the most efficient way to catch game
- Hunters can adapt to every situation to allow them to catch the game they want
Disadvantages of hunting
- It can be incredibly inhumane when done incorrectly,
- It requires a lot of planning and effort
- You must have the proper equipment and clothing to hunt successfully
- It can be expensive
- It is impossible to hunt in terrible weather
- Hunting is a sore subject associated with stigma
Advantages of snaring
- Snares are convenient and easy to set up
- They are inexpensive as the simple ones do not cost much
- They do not require a lot of control; all you have to do is set everything up correctly and wait.
- Snares are available everywhere, in every variety, big or small
- Snares are extremely efficient
- They still work in adverse weather conditions.
- They are lightweight and easy to manipulate
Disadvantages of snaring
- Snares cannot be used in the pen country as it can be very dangerous for the inhabitants
- They need locking mechanisms for them to work efficiently
- They are knocked over easily by both humans and animals
- They bring about water heads or the selling of the animal’s head
- Animals are prone to spoilage if they are unattended
- They cannot be re-used, which can be a bit expensive.
Based on the benefits and disadvantages of both, the decision on which to use rests solely with the individual.