I think many would agree with me when I say that the use of natural ingredients to treat and combat a variety of medical problems and discomforts is not an uncommon desire today. Many individuals are now pursuing natural remedies as opposed to over the counter or doctor prescribed drugs. Rather than a trend in healthcare, I think it is more of a revolution. Many are realizing the powerful effects of nature’s remedies in treating a variety of problems – both underlying and external. However, it is no easy task understanding the benefits of each healing herb because of the many that exist. They seem almost infinite, am I right?
Well, in order to add a little more organization and clarification to your understanding, we have compiled a list of the 10 best medicinal herbs that everyone should add to their medicinal herb cabinet.
- Turmeric: This medicinal herb is best known for its ability to ease the pain and discomfort caused by arthritis. This ability comes from the ingredient called curcumin, found in Turmeric, that works as an anti-inflammatory and powerful inhibitor. What’s more, this herb has also been researched (though minimally) in regards to its capacity to prevent colon cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cinnamon: One of the most powerful effects of cinnamon is its ability to lower blood sugar and cholesterol. This is great for people with type 2 diabetes and other heart-related risks.
- Rosemary: Rosemary is an important herb that can be used in combating the dangers of carcinogens, a huge factor in many cancer-causing studies. By preventing these carcinogens from entering the body, Rosemary also prevents tumor formation that is caused by those amines building with DNA.
- Ginger: Ginger is a great, natural source for regulating blood flow. The ability of ginger to act as an anti-inflammatory can also prove assistive in a variety of medical discomforts. However, despite those benefits, perhaps ginger is most known for its capacity to alleviate nausea that comes from pregnancy, motion sickness, and chemotherapy.
- Holy Basil: This natural ingredient, most popularly used in pesto sauce, for example, is a great natural tool for reducing stress. Holy Basil can increase adrenaline and noradrenaline, while decreasing serotonin levels in the body.
- John’s Wart: This herb can play a huge role in soothing worries and improving sleep. The main ingredient, melatonin, is an important hormone that regulates our sleeping cycle. Consuming this herb increases the amount of that hormone in our body.
- Garlic: Garlic, believe it or not, has the ability to lower rates of many types of cancers. In addition to the cancer-fighting benefits, garlic can also provide cardiovascular benefits due to the many active phytochemicals it contains.
- Lavender: Lavender has the ability to calm and relax. In addition to this, lavender can also be used as an antiseptic when applied to cuts and bruises.
- Marigold: This medicinal herb is great for a variety of skin problems. Whether you suffer from acne blemishes, or have a sunburn, marigold can ease the associated discomfort and improve skin health.
- Feverfew: This medicinal herb, though more uncommonly considered, can provide relief for a variety of discomforts. Used for headache pain, migraines, arthritis, and skin conditions, it has the ability to provide relief from pain and discomfort when consumed.